As Hamburger helper reaches 1.50 a box, I save the old boxes and create my own dinner kits. Want chicken helper? Use chicken bullion and poultry seasoning. Tuna Helper use chicken bullion and a splash of fish sauce. This base mix can power a real savings cascade. Change seasonings around and portion control to win the let’s play dinner game.
- 1 ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/3 cup dry onion flakes
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch or arrow root
- 3 Tablespoons onion powder
- 1 2/3 cup dry milk
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 3 ½ Tablespoons beef bouillon
- 2 Tablespoons brown gravy powder *MSG free
- 1 Tablespoon Wondra flour or pastry flour
Mix this all up and store in a glass jar or other sealed container.
I put this through the coffee grinder for a finer sauce
Use ½ cup for each pound of ground meat (beef, turkey or chicken).
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup of mix (above)
- 2 to 3 cups noodles (elbow macaroni for example) or 2 cups rice
- 1 1/2 to 3 cups water
- 1 cup milk
Brown and drain the ground beef. Stir in the dry mix, then add 2 cups hot water and 2 cups noodles. You can add more or less water and noodles, proportionately, depending on much you need to stretch that pound of beef. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer, cover, and cook until noodles are tender, about 20 minutes.
Cheeseburger skillet: add 1 cup dehydrated cheese with the dry mix. Or cook as above, then stir in 2 cups grated Cheddar or Colby cheese before serving. Serve with fresh cubed tomatoes, onion, lettuce and pickles. Crumbled cooked bacon optional.
Stroganoff: add a bit of 1/2 tsp of onion powder, ½ tsp thyme and 1/2 tsp celery salt with the dry mix. Stir in a 1/2 cup fresh or canned mushrooms. After cooking noodles, stir in 1/4 cup sour cream just before serving. Top with grated parmesan cheese
Potato variation: Instead of macaroni, add 2-3 cups very thinly sliced potatoes or julienned potatoes. Simmer 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender. Uncover and simmer until liquid has evaporated. Add canned or frozen peas and heat thru.
A good way to make healthy sub whole wheat pasta, and drain meat after browning rinsing with hot water.
- Shaked n Baked (suburbhomestead.wordpress.com)
- Crockpot Beef Stroganoff (savageblogj4.wordpress.com)
- Easy Homemade Beef Stroganoff Recipe (crazyadventuresinparenting.com)
- French Onion Soup (ilovesoup.net)