Lasagna One Pot
A one pot meal to simplify dinner time. Free yourself from the everyday, and make the evening special.
Why wait all day for Lasagna and all that work when you can do it in one pot. Need a fancier version for last minute company? Add a cup of white wine or vodka for sweetness. Everyone wants to know what do with the glut of tomatoes from the garden. This is what I do.
- 16 ounces pasta (broken lasagna noodles)
- 2 cans (15 ounces) whole Italian tomatoes with liquid crushed (You can use fresh if you like as well)
- 1 large sweet onion large dice
- 1 # Lbs ground beef or turkey well browned and drained
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes a must
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 large sprigs basil, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or seafood broth (regular broth and NOT low sodium)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces Dry curd cottage cheese or ricotta
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese shredded
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated – I left about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can reduce as desired .
- Season to taste with salt and pepper , stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot.
- Add cheeses evenly over top and cover for five minutes to melt. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.