This is amazing! It is rich, sweet, and silky banana fruit …butter – punctuated with crunchy toasted pecans – makes an exquisite topping for waffles, pancakes, and popovers.
- 4 cups packed Dark Brown Cane Sugar
- 2 cups vanilla cane sugar
- 4 cups mashed bananas (about 12 ripe bananas)
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 (1.75 ounce) box ball fruit pectin
- ½ teaspoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 vanilla bean pod split and scraped
1. In large bowl combine brown sugar and granulated sugar, set aside. IN 6-8 quart heavy pan combine mashed bananas, juice, pectin, and butter. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean, add seeds and pot to pot. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
2. Stir in sugar all at once. Hard boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove vanilla bean pod. Stir in pecans.
3. Ladle into hot, sterilized half – pint jars leaving ¼ inch head-space. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids.
4. Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes. (Start timing when water returns to full rolling boil) Remove jars and cool on towel or wire rack.
Makes 9 half-pints