Making your own gluten free spices will result in a fresher, cleaner taste. I tend to store my spices whole and in opaque glass jars to maintain freshness.
Chinese Five-Spice Powder
(makes about 1/3 cup)
*slightly adapted from Chow from http://thingsmybellylikes.com/2013/12/17/chinese-five-spice-powder/
- 2 tablespoons whole star anise choose perfect stars
- 2 tablespoons whole fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon true ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place anise, fennel, and peppercorns in coffee grinder and pulse til fine.
- Stir all the above together until well mixed. Store in an airtight glass container, preferably somewhere cool and dark.