- 6 quarts blanched sliced fresh Apples use a mix
- 5 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups clear Jel
- 2 tablespoon Saigon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups apple juice concentrate undiluted
- 5 cups apple juice
- 3/4 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 7 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 Vanilla bean Scraped
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
Wash, peel and core the apples. Slice them about 1/2 inch wide and place in water containing ascorbic acid to prevent browning. Blanch 2 quarts at a time for 1 minute in boiling water. While blanching other apples, keep ones already blanched in covered pot to keep warm.
Combine the sugar, ginger, & cinnamon in large pot with the water add apple juice, vanilla bean, food coloring and nutmeg. Stir and cook on medium high heat until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
Drain the apple slices from the water, reserving water.
Add lemon juice to water mixture and boil 1 minute more. Fold in the apple slices immediately and fill jars with mixture. Clean the rims and seal the jars. Process for 30 minutes in a water bath canner.
- Make the Obama Family’s Favorite Apple Pie (people.com)
- Recipes: Joe’s Stone Crab Apple Pie and tips on preventing a soggy pie crust (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- This Week’s Harvest: Apples (thesleuthjournal.com)