1 Quart Jar of apple pie filling
1 box of Puff pastry
Unfold puff pastry sheets, and repair any cracks by pressing them back together. Trim each sheet into a square. Then cut each larger square into 4 smaller squares. Spoon apples onto the center of each squares. Fold over from corner to corner into a triangle shape, and press edges together to seal. Place turnovers on a baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between them. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until turnovers are puffed and lightly browned. Cool completely before glazing.
To make the glaze, mix together the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Adjust the thickness by adding more sugar or milk if necessary. Drizzle glaze over the cooled turnovers.
The first time I was introduced to these gems was from a can. Making them from scratch reaffirms my belief that homemade is better. A simple Saturday morning done right. There was a reason that farm Sundays and Saturdays were special. It was the reward the hard work of the week.
- Other Options for Puff Pastry (dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Ogleshield pastries recipe (telegraph.co.uk)
- Yummy Bittersweet Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe (fvrit.com)
- Puff Pastry and all that is Feuilletée.! (jsaadoun.wordpress.com)
- Tasty Homemade Apple Turnovers (therealkk.wordpress.com)