Just in time for apple season. This recipe brings fall to my kitchen. I just a mix of honey crisp, jormac, and granny smith.
- 6 quarts blanched sliced fresh Apples use a mix
- 5 1/2 cups vanilla sugar
- 1 1/2 cups clear Jel
- 2 tablespoon Saigon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups apple juice concentrate undiluted
- 5 cups fresh apple juice
- 3/4 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 7 drops yellow food coloring *Optional
- 1 Vanilla bean Scraped
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
Wash, peel and core the apples. Slice them about 1/2 inch wide and place in water containing ascorbic acid to prevent browning. Blanch 2 quarts at a time for 1 minute in boiling water. While blanching other apples, keep ones already blanched in covered pot to keep warm.
Combine the sugar, ginger, & cinnamon in large pot with the water add apple juice, vanilla bean, food coloring and nutmeg. Stir and cook on medium high heat until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
Drain the apple slices from the water, reserving water.
Add lemon juice to water mixture and boil 1 minute more. Fold in the apple slices immediately and fill jars with mixture. Clean the rims and seal the jars. Process for 30 minutes in a water bath canner.
- Recipes: Apple Betty, Apple and Cranberry Pandowdy and more (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- McApple Crisp (willthink4wine.blogspot.com)
- “Origins of Halloween: Celtic New Year, Dia de los Muertos. Fun family activities!” and related posts (elephantjournal.com)
- Meg’s Fruit Crisp/Crumble Tasty Treat (officialmegtilly.com)