When I was training for the US Army in Indianapolis, I had the chance to taste it. Amish baking is wholesome and frugal. This one does not have eggs.
- 4 Tablespoons unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons cold sweet cream unsalted butter
- 1 cup vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Saigon cinnamon
- Fresh grated nutmeg
Pour the flour in the crust. Add the sugar and salt. Measure and pour the cream into the pie crust. Mix with your fingers. Measure out the milk and add the vanilla, stir. Add to the pie crust. Do not stir. Dot cold butter on top of pie. Sprinkle Liberally with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. Center will be bubbly and still giggly. Let cool and refrigerate.
- Hooiser Sugar Cream Finger Pie, from the Indy 500 to the Quakers: Pies of the States (carlanthonyonline.com)
- Sugar Cream Pie (mixitup.me)
- Citrus kind of Pie (sweetipomoea.wordpress.com)