As a newbie to a DIY life I spent hours trying to source a large quantity. Make it. Used in cleaning and cooking recipes, you cannot go wrong. Simplicity is the mother of invention.
- Baking Soda
1. Fill a wide baking dish with baking soda.
2. Heat in the oven at 400 degrees until all the baking soda becomes washing soda. Occasionally mix it so that this process happens faster and more uniformly.
3. Use as needed!
See- told you it was simple! 1 ingredient. 1 step.
The difference between baking soda and washing soda is water and carbon dioxide. Seriously. Baking soda’s chemical makeup is NaHCO3 (1 sodium, 1 hydrogen, one carbon, and 3 oxygen molecules). Washing soda’s chemical makeup is Na2CO3 (2 sodium, 1 carbon, and 3 oxygen molecules). When baking soda is heated up to high temperatures, it breaks down to become washing soda, water steam, and carbon dioxide.
By cooking your baking soda, you can easily and safely get washing soda without needing to travel to far flung places to buy it, and you can make as much as you need at a time and don’t need to lay out a lot of money on buying washing soda. (If you buy baking soda in bulk as I do, you can make washing soda especially cheaply.)
- Make Your Own Dishwashing Detergent (24/365) (thesimpledollar.com)
- Colorful Baking Soda Busywork (magicalchildhood.wordpress.com)
- Liquid Homemade Laundry Detergent (doterrateambuilding.wordpress.com)
- Natural Cleaning Solutions (nanawithtwodogs.wordpress.com)
- The Baking Soda Poem (publishnprosper.com)