- 1 medium red onion
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1/2 teaspoon pickling salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cumin
- In a small pot or saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar, spices and seasoning. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Peel onion and thinly slice in rounds. Add to hot spiced vinegar and cook gently for a minute or so.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to cool. Transfer to a small glass jar, top with lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Pickled onions are ready to use 24 hours after making and will last for several weeks in the refrigerator.
- Sweet on sour: Vinegar adds an intriguing acid twist to everything from roasts to cocktails (independent.co.uk)
- American Style ‘Bread & Butter’ Pickle (hopeeternalcookbook.wordpress.com)
- Pickled Vegetables – Quick and Easy – 2 DIY – How To Do It Recipes (survivalfarm.wordpress.com)