When the blue bunny mood takes you and the long, long, list of ingredients gives you pause. Remember ice cream is at its simplest, Sugar, cream, flavors, and whatever takes your fancy. At my favorite bulk food store yesterday, I was asked a question. What apples do you put in your apple pie filling? I always put a mix in. A Ratio of one-third baking, one-third tart, to one-third sweet crunchy is my personal favorite. For Example: Macintosh, granny smith, honey crisp or fireside, granny smith, gala. I do this to give deep apple flavor, a range of textures, and balance sweetness with tartness.
Apple Pie Ice Cream Recipe
- 8 oatmeal cookies
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 large apples (1 granny smith and 1 honey crisp)
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp vanilla bean sugar
- 2 tsp ground Saigon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Apple pie spice
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs pasteurized or 1/3 cup liquid eggs (from a carton)
- Crumble your oatmeal cookies. You can use either store-bought or homemade oatmeal cookies for this.
- Peel and core the apples. Cut them into small chunks. Heat the butter in a small skillet. Add the apples, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon apple pie spice and 3 tbsp of sugar. Cook over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes. You want the apples to soften and the sugar to caramelize. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the remaining ingredients (except the cookie crumbles) in a large bowl. Process this mix in your ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Layer the cookie crumbles and apples into the finished ice cream. Allow the ice cream to set in the freezer for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Apple Pie From the Freezer (suburbhomestead.wordpress.com)
- Totally worth every Scratch and Scrape: Apple and Blackberry Pie (chaoticallyme.wordpress.com)
- Beyond Apple & Vanilla: 5 Fresh Pie & Ice Cream Pairings Recipe Roundup (thekitchn.com)
- National ice cream pie day (eatocracy.cnn.com)
- Apple Pie (carabossesbakeshop.wordpress.com)