You can use salted or unsalted butter for these brownies. If you use unsalted butter and want to add some salt,
use 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt. I also like to add 2 to 3 tablespoons of roasted cocoa nibs along with the nuts for added chocolatey crunch.
Use very low heat for melting the chocolate and butter. A good trick is to add the butter to the pan first, whichmelts faster than the chocolate, so you don’t burn the chocolate.
You can use a flame-tamer if you’re concerned but I always melt it right over the lowest heat possible and never have had any problems.
Jane, I suggest a glass dish in the microwave for 1 minute, stir, and repeat using 30 seconds, until smooth. Follow this recipe exactly.
Baking is a science weigh your ingredients. Prepare pans, oven, and ingredients ahead of time and take your time as if in a Lab.
6 tablespoons (85g) butter, salted or unsalted
8 ounces (225g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (Ghiradelli)
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon unsweetened dark cocoa powder, natural or
3 tablespoons (30g) corn starch
optional: 1 cup (135g) nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1. Line the inside of an 8-inch (23 cm)
square pan with foil so that it goes up the sides to the rim. Lightly grease the foil with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350º (180ºC). *Adjust oven rack to middle position.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate (and salt, if using) in a medium saucepan over very low heat on the stove top,
stirring constantly until smooth. Or microwave method.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar, then the eggs, one at a time.
4. Sift together the cocoa powder and corn starch in a small bowl then stir them into the chocolate mixture.
Beat the batter vigorously for at least one minute, until the batter is no longer grainy and nearly smooth. It will pull away from the sides of the pan a bit.
Enjoy this one.
5. Add the nuts, if using, then scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for thirty minutes, or until the brownies feel just set in the center. Do not over bake. Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing. *I shake the pan to test setness.
- Chocolate Graham Cracker Cupcakes w/ Toasted Marshmellow (nolagirlsocial.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Bourbon Cake (cookingislife.wordpress.com)
- Granola – Recipe (janegmeyer.wordpress.com)