Cooking Time: 20 min
- 1 medium-sized yellow sweet onion, peeled, cut in half, and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
pound fresh Italian sausage
pound regular or fully-cooked smoked turkey sausage, sliced diagonally into ½-inch slices
- 1 (16-ounce) jar kidney (or cranberry) beans, rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans (or black-eye peas),
rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can regular or fire roasted stewed
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine, or white grape juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup Browned bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons of real bacon bits
- 2 Tablespoon of butter melted
- 1 cup of shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Coat a large saucepan with butter.
Add onion and garlic, and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, just until
onion is softened.
- Remove sausage from casing and add
to saucepan. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add sliced smoked sausage and
cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until sausage is cooked through and no pink remains.
- Pour off drippings then stir in
remaining ingredients, except parsley. Mix gently then cover and reduce heat to
low. Simmer 5 minutes then uncover and cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 10
minutes to blend the flavors.
- Garnish with browned breadcrumbs in
butter, bacon, cheese, parsley and scallions, if desired, and serve.
- Italian Sausages and Zucchini (chroniclesofadiabetic.wordpress.com)
- Slow Cooker Sausage Soup (lisacooking.com)
- Baked Mac N Cheese with Breadcrumbs (thedivaspot.wordpress.com)