5 Cups un-sifted Flour, unbleached all-purpose
¼ Cup vanilla Sugar
3 Teaspoons Baking Powder *Fresh
1 Teaspoon Soda *fresh
1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
2/3 Cup Shortening (I used half lard and half butter)
1 pkg. Dry Yeast or 2 ½ teaspoons of bulk instant yeast
4 Tablespoons Warm Water
2 Cups Cultured Buttermilk
Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add with buttermilk to dry mixture. Mix well with a heavy spoon. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to about ½” thick. Cut with biscuit cutter 2 ½ inch size.
Pre-heat a greased pan and place biscuits in it coating both sides as you put them in, and allow to rise until they press on each other. Cook at 400 degrees until browned.
Keep extra dough in bowl in the refrigerator and use as needed.
In Memory of Allen Johnson, Dutch Oven Pump Doc. This recipe was shared by a forum group simple solar homesteading on yahoo. This is a gem of a recipe.
- Cinnamon Biscuit Rolls (tuckercravings.wordpress.com)
- Yeasted Buttermilk Biscuits (savorysaltysweet.com)
- Farmer Sandwich Bread (suburbhomestead.wordpress.com)
- How do you make biscuits with plain flower (wiki.answers.com)
- Buttermilk Biscuits (asouthernkitchen.wordpress.com)