INGREDIENTS2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup regular milk, or soy milk for vegan version
3 tablespoons melted butter, or corn oil for vegan version1. Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly oil a baking sheet and set it aside.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and allspice in a large bowl, then set aside.
3. Combine pumpkin, milk, butter, and maple syrup in a medium bowl and stir until smooth.
4. Combine the flour mixture with the pumpkin mixture. Stir just until the mixture holds together; avoid over mixing, or biscuits will be tough.
5. Roll dough out on a lightly floured work surface and roll out to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter or a drinking glass, cut out dough into rounds and place on prepared baking sheet. Re-roll dough scraps and continue to cut out until all dough has been used.
6. Bake in the center of the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Serve hot.
Makes about 20 biscuits.
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Sweet potato biscuits offer change of taste (pbpulse.com)
- Chocolate and orange biscuits recipe by Alice Waters (telegraph.co.uk)
- The Joy of Pumpkin: Pumpkin Stew (jolieodell.wordpress.com)
- The Joy of Pumpkin: Savory Pumpkin Pastry Puffs (jolieodell.wordpress.com)
- Stretch Your Food Dollar: Pumpkin Party (queercents.com)
- The Joy of Pumpkin: Pumpkin Muffins (jolieodell.wordpress.com)