1 5- to 6-pound stewing hen or baking chicken
1 package of chicken wings
3 large onions
1 large sweet potato
3 parsnips peeled
2 turnips peeled
11 to 12 large carrots peeled
5 to 6 celery stems sliced ¼ inch
1 bunch of parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1. Clean the chicken, put it in a large pot and cover it with cold water. Bring the water to boil.
2. Add the chicken wings, onions, sweet potato, parsnips, turnips and carrots. Boil gently about 1 and a half hours. Remove fat from the surface as it accumulates.
3. Add the parsley and celery. Cook the mixture about 45 min. longer.
4. Remove the chicken. The chicken is not used further for the soup. (The meat makes excellent chicken parmesan.)
5. Put the vegetables in a food processor until they are chopped fine or pass through a strainer.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
(Note: This soup freezes well.)
Matzoh balls were prepared according to the recipe on the back of the box of matzoh meal (Manischewitz).
Alternatively return 1 pound of miniced meat to the broth. Remove, parsnips, turnips, carrots and chop ¼ inch then return. Boil ½ bag of creamette dumpling noodles until done, rinse and add to pot. Serve with oyster crackers or saltines and fresh grated black pepper.