Gifted with a 2 Lbs of Masters reserve sharp cheddar today. Shredded into a welsh rarebit for breakfast.
Following a recipie by Alton Brown
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (I prefer spicy brown here)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup porter beer (a dark bock works well)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces (approximately 1 1/2 cups) shredded Cheddar
- 2 drops hot sauce
- 4 slices toasted rye bread (home made thick sliced)
In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to brown the flour. Whisk in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add beer and whisk to combine. Pour in cream and whisk until well combined and smooth. Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is smooth; this will take 4 to 5 minutes. Add hot sauce. Pour over toast and serve immediately.