- 2 cans pinto beans, rinsed or 1 quart jar canned
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 4 tablespoons bacon fat, or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finally minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground cumin
- a bit of chicken broth
- 1-2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped or flat leaf parsley
- Heat the fat in a saute pan. Add the onion and jalapeno and saute until tender
- Add some of the beans and begin mashing them with a fork or a potato masher. As they get mashed, add more, until all is incorporated.
- Add the cumin, taco seasoning and stir, and then loosen until it is the consistency for spreading on a tortilla by adding a few tablespoons of chicken stock.
- Add the cilantro
Serves: at least a dozen tortillas, and 6-8 as a side dish
Note: if you don’t want the heat, then leave out the chiles.
- Frijoles Refritos (mybestcookbook.wordpress.com)
- Pulled Pork Tacos with Pumpkin-Chipotle BBQ Sauce and Cilantro Slaw (blogher.com)
- Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup (mexicrave.wordpress.com)