American Cheese From the Kitchen
How to make the world’s best American cheese:
From Make Your Own Convenience Foods by Don and Joan German
- 1 1/2 lbs grated mild cheddar cheese
- Few drops egg food coloring (carrot juice)
- 1 1/2 c HOT water
- 1/2 c plus 1 tablespoon instant nonfat dry milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin powder Knox
In a blender, place:
1/2 cup hot water
3 tablespoons milk powder
1/2 teaspoon gelatin
whirl until frothy.
Add 1/2 lb of the cheese, whirl until liquefied and pour into prepared pan.
Repeat process 2 more times until all ingredients are used.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight
As a note: In my blender, I did the 1st batch then just one more batch with all the ingredients it was fine. I guess it depends on how big/powerful your blender is.
I am going to try this with different shredded cheeses, also and some seasonings.
A new dimension in grilled cheese awaits me. I live in a town where Kraft is made.
That plant makes powdered cheese; I always wondered what I could do with it.
- How To Make American Cheese (presurfer.blogspot.com)
- October is American Cheese Month! (gadling.com)
- Farmer’s Cheese Fresh From Your Kitchen (thewimpyvegetarian.com)
- Cottage Cheese and Egg Breakfast Muffins (loftybites.com)